Just like many other European sports betting countries, Germany has a culture in which gambling and betting, in particular, hold a high place. It is considered to be a good pastime activity and this lead to a boom in the gambling industry altogether, especially sports betting Germany. However, this continuous growth of the betting and gambling sector in Germany is not consistent with what the government receives in taxes. For those of our readers that are more interested in the financial and economical point of view, we are going to resume this subject and offer you an in-depth analysis of the current situation. Until then, let’s check out some preferences of the German bettors.
The Bundesliga enjoys the highest average attendances in Europe, being overtaken only by the NFL. So, in case you needed more proof that football is the favorite sport for Germans, now you have more than enough of it. The annual participation of Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Champions League gives German punters plenty of reasons to back up their favorite teams and enjoy a wide range of bets as well.
Out of the entire sports betting Germany activity, almost 80% is represented by football bets while handball, tennis and ice hockey are sharing the remaining 20%.
Many big bookmakers operate in Germany, taking advantage of the unclear gambling law in the country. However, some operators are taking the German market for granted; it was bWin that managed to make things easier for everyone.
After getting the full attention of the German authorities by having many users on its online sports betting site, bwin was restricted from operating in Germany. A lawsuit followed, and a German court ruled in favor of the Austrian bookmaker, allowing them to still accept customers for both online and offline sports betting Germany. It’s true that the court said they would only be able to accept customers from the East part of Germany, however, western Germans can also be diverted to bwin.com, the international website that is licensed in Gibraltar.
This court ruling made the German authorities efforts regarding delivering a new Gambling Law even more difficult. Moreover, this meant that all the major operators were now convinced they could safely offer their products to German punters without risking fines or being banned. This is the reason why the gambling in this country is still referred to as a grey market even today when it comes to sports betting Germany.
After mentioning the big victory of bwin over German authorities, you might have thought that they were going to be our first recommendation. Well, they do offer outstanding services, however, bet365 are simply better.
- Over 20 years of experience
- Excellent in-play betting platform
- Awesome for football bets
- Cash out option
- Good variety of markets
An exceptional bookmaker that stood their ground when things were tough and got rewarded with the recognition of being the first big bookmaker to operate in Germany. Bwin is perfect for any punter, has an excellent agenda of sports and bonuses, as well as very appealing odds.
- Diversity in payment methods
- Fast withdrawals
- Excellent bonus system
- Great mobile platform
- No free livestreaming
- Certain withdrawal methods charge a fee
Interwetten is a pioneer when it comes to online betting. This Austrian-based bookmaker was the first to offer betting via telephone and maintained their position over the years with countless satisfied users around the world.
- Great betting markets
- Live streaming for all the important events
- Live betting
- Extremely user-friendly
- No live-chat
- Limited withdrawal methods